Winter's Night Blog

What story down there awaits its end?

Remember, we will be sharing articles on Tuesday.  Bring an article that you find interesting, something for the class to discuss.

To assist you in your search, I thought I'd share this with you:

I use the Google RSS reader, but there are others out there. (See links in video.)

Here are a couple of good article sources that I use:

  • NPR.org breaks up the site sections into different feeds, which can be found here.  After you sign up with an RSS reader, click on the RSS button next to the section you're interested in.  I'm subscribed to Top Stories, All Things Considered, World Cafe, Morning Edition, Topics: Music, and of course, Education.
  • The New Republic is always a good source for opinion articles.  It's a bit liberal, but always creates solid discussions.
  • The Urban Tulsa Weekly is my favorite source for local entertainment and opinion articles.  The Most Recently Posted feed delivers all content for your perusing pleasure.
  • AdbustersThis one's a bit liberal, too, but good for discussion.
  • The New York Times RSS feeds provides all the content of one of the nation's best newspapers without the cost.  Because $5 on Sunday is only okay if you don't buy books with your hard-earned money.  Home Page, Movies, and Technology are all worth subscribing to.
  • The New Yorker.  I subscribe to all feeds.  But then, I'm addicted to this.
  • Time isn't my favorite news source, but the photography is always amazing.

I'm a big fan of these last four.  You might say they're the winning-est blogs on the web.  You'd be wrong, but the wordplay remains.  If you choose no other feed, subscribe to these:

  • Windmills and Giants is always an interesting read, and a great place to discuss/learn about contemporary rhetoric.
  • The Winsome Scholar, a site devoted to contemporary fiction.  It can be a bit heavy on music, art, and graffiti news, though.
  • Winter's Night Blog is a brilliant site that collects interesting news stories and discussion of contemporary nonfiction.  I hear the webmaster is simply amazing.
  • Windfall Knitting is designed and run by K vOn MO and Kathryn, with occasional postings by yours truly.  Stop by for the latest Knitting Club information and projects.

If you have any further questions about RSS feeds or any other Internetness, post a comment below.  The next post in my Internet Goodness will be about the wonders of Google docs.  Never have to deal with emailing a report to yourself again!

Print this post

2 Comments

This is the best post ever. I downloaded Snarfer a couple days ago (an RSS reader), and I'm feeling it. It was awesome to have links readily available to add.

Thank-you a lot, sir.

I love how the post is filed under internet goodness.

Post a Comment

Post a Comment